Friday, August 3, 2012

Kind of paper


Today, while turning the Newspaper ,I was just looking at some deals on clothes,food and electronic items,suddenly I found myself lost and it took me around two years back in India, Hyderabad.Its kind of  weird thoughts and left me with many questions. It was  Saturday, and like any other holiday ,I decided to spend more time with my maid to clear my house properly. I decided to remove all the old newspaper and immediately I called my building watchman to send someone upstairs to pickup all the old newspaper. After ten minutes, watchman called and said,"madam ji,newspaper wala uppar aaraha hai".In few seconds doorbell rang , I noticed a lean, dark and thin man was standing outside the door in torn clothes with big white jute bag and he asked, "Madam ji kitna newspaper hai ?"I replied "aap idhar hi raho,main le ke aati hoon.He was standing still and waiting for me.I asked him,’kya rate hai? He replied, ‘ek kilo ka six rupees’.I said.’okay’.and I was thinking in my mind, why I am asking him for money? I should not ask rather I should give him for free. He is poor and may be that money can help him at least for his one meal. while I was busy at looking at his age,clothes ,he started his work , he spend around ten minutes to rearrange those old newspaper to make it look neat and better. I was watching his speechless efforts and thinking how dedicated he is towards his job. He weighed all the newspaper and he has given me 50 rupees of all those old newspaper and asked me to give him 2 rupees back. I was still some where else and not able to decide what should I do? Should I  take this 50 rupees or should I tell him that he can keep these 50 rupees with him. I was confused not able to decide and he gave me an old 50 rupee note and gave him 2 rupees back.Once I closed the door, I was still confused and felt that 50 rupee note in my hand and I thought, every paper has different value. This 50 rupee note is just a  kind of  paper and newspaper is also paper. He had spent so much of time to earn something . How much he had earn actually ? Why he is so poor? Why every paper has different value? Can we use Indian currency to read, to spread to make envelopes or for recycling? Can we use newspaper to buy something?Answer was no? Because every paper has different value.

Disha Saxena

4 comments:

  1. we have currency notes for the sake of easing the transactions.And that person showed that even a single rupee has significance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nithin,I do agree with you however still I wonder why single rupee have different value for everyone..

      Delete